4.24.2016

Adventures in Alopecia - The Ballet Bun

You guys.

I seriously almost cried today when I was doing Olivia's ballet bun for rehearsal. And no, it wasn't because ballet buns stress me out - I'm WAY past that stage of being a dance mom.

It was because her hair looks SO. FREAKING. AMAZING.

If you're wondering what the heck I'm babbling about .... long story short: Olivia was diagnosed with alopecia back in December and we're seeing a lot of growth of new hair and it's totally amazing!

Wanna see what I mean?

This photo was taken in early December before we knew what was going on. At this point Liv had lost a good 2-3 inches of her hairline and I was chalking it up to "ballerina alopecia" which just means "wearing a bun too often."

Um, hello? Look at the hair loss. I still feel horrible about this and the fact that I didn't realize sooner what the hell was happening.

But we've been applying topical steroids since JANUARY and Olivia is taking Biotin and we're trying to alleviate stress. And she's eating yogurt (to help her gut - which is where healing needs to start with auto immune disorders like alopecia).

And today? I've been worried about her ballet bun for the performances of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz for months. What if her hair wasn't growing back? What would her bun look like? How would she FEEL about this?

Today:
Houston, we've got hair! Dark, gorgeous hair! Look at that smile - this girl KNOWS it looks good.

And I know this is a good hair day and we could be facing more bad hair days. But for now I'm marking this in the 'win' column.

No comments:

Post a Comment