Hand me my pain meds and a Kleenex...

A few random thoughts about this past week...

Pain management
Percocet and Motrin are my new best friends. Taken every 4 to 6 hours, they seem to be working. However, I still have to sleep sitting up.

C-sections are painful - there's no other way to put it. Think about it -- you have basically been sliced open from one side to the other (i.e., gutted) and then stitched back up. I think I might have popped one stitch, but can't tell, since they are internal stitches...but, I am having quite a bit of pain in one small area.

I might have to call the doctor if it doesn't get any better in another day or so.

Time management
Kevin goes back to work on Wednesday. Things have been relatively sane since we came home on Saturday, but only because he's been here to help 24-7. Not sure how smoothly things will go after 7:30 a.m. tomorrow morning.

Thankfully, my mom is going to be here to help.

Oddly enough, I am finding enough time to email friends, update my blogs and do other non-essential things. I have also been doing lots of other things -- laundry, cleaning the kitchen, putting laundry away. I am paying for this -- my feet, ankles and legs are swollen. (Think: Shrek feet). I must try to do less.

Not sleeping well at all. The nurses were kind enough to give me Ambien every night in the hospital to help me sleep. I don't have the luxury of taking sleep aids at home...we have to be able to wake for that 3 a.m. feeding. [As a side note: if you ever need to take prescription sleep aid, Ambien is wonderful! I really did sleep for 6 or 7 hours without waking].

Adding to my sleep issues - the fact that I have to sleep sitting up due to my incision and I'm also waking every hour just to check on Emma. If I could, I would probably sit up all night just to make sure she's sleeping OK. It's a mom thing....I think I did the same thing with Olivia.

Last night I slept in the La-Z-Boy in our home office. With Emma in my arms. Until 3 a.m.

Kleenex, anyone?
My hormones are, in a word, crashing. This means I am an emotional train wreck. The crying started Wednesday night. For no reason - I just started crying, as if a switch was turned on and then turned off. It has been happening every night since last Wednesday.

I cried for an hour Friday night after Kevin went home and I was still in the hospital. I wasn't sad...just hormonal.

I cried Saturday night. And Sunday. Monday night too. I will probably cry tonight before 10 p.m.

This too shall pass.

And now, it's almost 9 p.m. so I should go put my feet up and relax. Emma needs a bottle soon and then it's bedtime and then the 3 a.m. feeding and then the adventure starts again tomorrow morning.


  1. I remember those days. They suck. But you have that sweet, deliciously scented little baby morsel. Try to focus on the the positive things about these early days, because they go so fast! We are so happy for you all! She is just beautiful.

  2. Thank you for writing this... and sharing this.

    I wish you sound sleep and a GOOD day.

  3. Kylee -- thanks!!!

    Today was a good day. :)