9.23.2007

THIS is supposed to make me feel safer?

There was one low point in our trip. And, of course, it happened at the airport.

We decided to spend one night at Detroit-Metro Airport (at the Westin)...to alleviate any morning-of-trip stress and because they have a great park and fly package with valet parking.

So, upon arriving we decided to get a security clearance pass and eat dinner in the Northwest terminal. What a mistake.

First, we stood in line for AN HOUR just to get our TSA pass. Yeah, an hour. The airport cop who was filling out these documents wrote so freakin' slow it was unreal. After finally getting our documents we had to walk back up to the main security checkpoint because the Westin's security area had closed while we were in line.

As soon as we walked into the security line one of the officers said "follow me." I thought, "gee, how nice. They have a special line for people who aren't flying."

Yeah. I wish.

No, no, no.....we had just been selected. To be searched.

We put the shoes, stroller, purse and diaper bag through the x-ray machine and then were corralled into a small, plexiglass "holding cell" (for lack of a better term). After a few minutes we were "released" so that we could be frisked. Patted down. ALL FOUR OF US.

That's right folks, after they did the "pat down" on me and Kevin, they did it to Olivia. And then Emma. Now I'm all for security, but they FRISKED MY 8 MONTH OLD BABY. And we weren't even getting on a damn plane. We were just trying to get some dinner.

This is the world we live in now.

[The best part? The next day as we were going thru security to actually board a plane, the security agent says to me, "Ma'am you have an excessive amount of baby food in your carry-on bag, but I'll let you through." -- Yeah, OK...so I packed half the baby food in my carry on and half in my suitcase...and apparently the rule is enough baby food for the duration of your FLIGHT. Whatever. The point is, I had obviously "broken" a rule, but no matter, I was allowed to go right on through.]

Yep. I feel safer. How about you?

3 comments:

  1. I understand.
    I hate airports.
    Easy as that.
    I actually have gotten to the point, with my traveling, that I hate them.

    ReplyDelete