3.28.2008

Should this really be an issue?

The new issue of Vogue magazine is out today. And apparently, the cover photo is sparking some controversy. I don't quite understand why.

Part of the AP story:
When Vogue announced its April cover starring LeBron James and Gisele Bundchen, the magazine noted with some fanfare that James was the first black man to grace its cover.

But the image is stirring up controversy, with some commentators decrying the photo as perpetuating racial stereotypes. James strikes what some see as a gorilla-like pose, baring his teeth, with one hand dribbling a ball and the other around Bundchen’s tiny waist.
It’s an image some have likened to “King Kong” and Fay Wray.


Full story here.

Photo here.

Honestly, I don't think Vogue set out to make some cover photo with any sort of racial undertones. For cryin' out loud, Annie Lebovitz shot the photos. She's amazing. I'm sure Lebron and Gisele both had to approve the shots....they don't seem to have an issue with it.

My first thought when I saw the photo wasn't "SHOCKING!"...it was more like, "Oh, nice picture. I need to remember to pick up this issue. Oh, and I might just renew my subscription."

Seriously. Why can't we all just ge along?

Thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. There is nothing racist about that picture. What's racist is looking at it and thinking (then saying) that he looks like a gorilla. I'm gonna go ahead and say he was making his "game face" and dribbling a basketball because he.plays.basketball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i totally agree.

    LeBron looks like, well, a basketball player. he has his game face on.

    The whole "controversy" (at least in my opinion) shows how narrowminded people can be. Imagine how uncontroversial it would be if the whole "this is an issue with some" article had NOT been written.

    it just irritates and angers me when the media CREATES issues. it is really BAD journalism if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... society at large is really dumb. People are so bored with their own lives that they have to meddle into business that doesn't concern them. My first thought when I saw this photo was, "Wait... that's Gisele?! Her face doesn't look like Gisele!"

    ReplyDelete