All right, so the election for president isn't for another six months -- but this damn primary has been going for what seems like YEARS.
And even before "all the cool kids" started doing it, I've been backing Barack Obama. Go ahead, check out my blog history. December 12, 2006 -- that was my first ever post about the man who could very well be our next president. See here.
There's been a bit of a tussle over on Athena Bee's about the candidates for president. And it's the same argument I see over and over on other blogs. When someone says they are supporting Barack Obama, all of a sudden everyone starts quizzing us on "why? Why? WHY??????"
Supporting Hillary? "Oh, OK...that's cool." John McCain? "Oh good." Ron Paul supporter? "Hmmm, well, OK." No one ever asks for an explanation from those people.
But once those words "I'm voting for Obama" leave one's fingers and end up as words on the page....oh my freakin' god...it's all over.
Quite frankly, I think that a person's decision to support or not support a candidate is a personal decsion. I shouldn't have to explain my choice to anyone. I'm not saying "YOU MUST VOTE FOR OBAMA." I'm not your keeper. Do what you will. Vote for whomever you want.
However, just for shits and giggles...I will post my personal reasons why I have wanted to vote for Obama since 2006.
1. He is the best candidate.
2. He's not "old school" politics.
3. He's not married to a former president (who, I will add, I did vote for. Twice - but that doesn't mean I want Slick Willy back in the White House. Ever.)
4. He has the best platform out of the 2 Dems - even though Hil's platform is similar.
5. He believes in the same ideals I do: ending the war in Iraq, lowering taxes, helping out middle income families with the cost of daycare and childcare, continuing the fight for equal rights for women (equal pay, fighting sex discrimination), affordable healthcare for everyone.
6. He's not George W. Bush (sorry, I had to do that)
7. He hasn't been brainwashed by D.C.
8. He's damn smart (I bet he can pronounce nuclear the right way!)
9. Read his book - The Audacity of Hope - you will see what is so amazing about him (yes, his book is one reason I think he should be president. It is full of so many wonderful ideals and beliefs...you will understand when you read it)
10. He wants and believes in CHANGE.
Yeah, I said it. I want him to be prez because he believes in CHANGE. That is huge for me. Washington must change the way it does things if we are to grow and prosper as a country. Do you see the price of gas? Groceries? Soon there won't be a middle class anymore. I truly believe that Obama can work for the changes that are NECESSARY to make us the great country that we MUST be in order to survive and prosper.
Go ahead, be cynical and laugh at the whole "change" thing. But any fool can see that the way things are being done right now is NOT working. So yeah, give me change. Give me a candidate who isn't afraid to stir thing up a bit.
Oh, and for all you naysayers who come back with "well, what experience does he have?"....let's consider this issue:
- George W. Bush - gov of texas, dad was prez
- Hillary - senator, husband was prez
- McCain - senator, POW
- JFK - senator (and one of the greatest leaders of all time)
Is Obama perfect? No. But in my mind, he is the best candidate we have. You don't have to agree with me. You don't even have to like me. Quite frankly, I don't care. That's the beauty of this country ... you can vote for whomever you want for whatever reason you want.
Just vote. Don't sit back and bitch and whine about things if you aren't going to get out there and VOTE.