5.18.2010

Supermom I am not

I managed to make beef jerky tonight.
It wasn't on purpose.
And it wasn't made out of beef.

Here's the back story....

This morning I put spare ribs in the crock pot.
I seasoned them.
I added a little H20 just so they didn't dry out.
And I turned on the crock pot and left for work.

Eight hours later as I'm driving home, I think to myself "Holeeee CRAP! I think it's possible that I turned the crock pot on "high" instead of "low!" Then I started to panic. Ohmygosh! What if the crock pot really was on HIGH and it caught fire and my kitchen was smoldering as I drove home?

I walked in the door and the smell hit me.
Overcooked pork ribs.
For the record, they smell a lot like burned tuna.
It is most unpleasant.

I took the lid off the crock pot and was met with a cloud of smoke.
And then I saw them...those poor, sad, overcooked ribs.
They were nearly petrified.
It was like beef jerky from 10,000 B.C.

I called Kevin and told him it was necessary to stop at Little Caesar's and pick up a few 'hot and now' pizzas.

When he came home, he looked at the "meat" and said "Hmm. They look a little crisp."

Crisp.
Yeah. And then some.

And so there it is....how I managed to make petrified beef jerky out of pork spare ribs.

Moral of the story?
When in doubt, grab a hot and now pizza and call it a night.

5 comments:

  1. LMAO! Have done similar things. We ended up with Mickey pancakes for dinner. But pizza was seriously discussed, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was an epic failure. my mom was like "how in the world did you manage that?" LOL

    mickey pancakes sound yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we've all been there and Little Caesar's has bailed us all out! lol
    Thankfully nothing but the meat was destroyed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made pork jerky last week. I guess pork chops on low in a crock pot for 10 hours is NOT a good thing. They were eatable, but that's about all I can say about them..... I didn't make my kids eat them. I didn't even want to eat them. PB & J saved the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Petrified beef! Little Caesar's is amazing and so handy.

    Don't worry - just tonight I made a carrot cake from scratch and forgot the baking soda - so we have carrot cake pancakes :)

    ReplyDelete