10.11.2013

Back to School with Children's Claritin

So the kids have been back in school for about seven weeks and I'm still attempting to find my groove between working at home and keeping up with all my "mom jobs."

At this rate, I'll have it all figured out by about May 2014. If I'm lucky.

School is great right now - the oldest is rocking out straight A's at the midterm and the youngest is reading (devouring!) at least three chapter books a week. Full rides to an Ivy League university are not too far behind (ha!).

The only "down" side to this whole back-to-school time of year is allergies. And this fall it seems like the sneezing and wheezing and runny noses have been non-stop. I'm hoping for a hard frost soon so we can get rid of the ragweed. 

And, as a member of the Children's Claritin Mom Crew, I recently had a chance to get some "back to school allergy tips" and since I'm also a mom of allergy kids I think they are great tips to share with all the other moms and dads out there who are trudging through the early school year just like me.

We all know that seasonal allergies are no fun, but Claritin has some tips for making allergy season bearable for everyone.

So without further ado, some tips from Children's Claritin:

1. Make a multi-vitamin part of your child's daily routine - since multi-vitamins are building blocks for a strong immune system.
My girls take two gummy vitamins each day and I think it really makes a difference with their overall health. (Heck, I even started taking "grown up gummies" and I think I'm feeling better too).

2. Keep curtains open during the day because mold doesn't like sunlight. 

3. Pillow trap allergens, dust mites, and bacteria! Monitor the cleanliness of your child's pillows.
I think I need to consider new pillows for the kids after typing that sentence. New pillows for everyone!

4. Be sure to remove laundry from the washing machine promptly - allowing wet clothes to sit in the washer means mold can grow quickly. 
Yeah. Guilty as charged. But I'm getting better. And when it does sit for too long, I just rewash it. Not sure if that helps or not.

5. Monitor pollen counts and adjust outdoor activities accordingly. Dry, windy days can be particularly high in pollen.
It's been very warm this fall, so we've kept the A/C on a lot longer this fall...which keeps the pollen outside too. But if it's a bad pollen day, even if it's beautiful outside, the kids stay inside!

6. Shower or bathe at the end of the day - instead of the morning - to remove allergens and pollen from hair and body.
This is what the kids do - I want that pollen out of their hair!

7. Stay hydrated! Send kids to school with a bottle of water. Drinking lots of clear fluids throughout the day helps rid the body of toxins.
Thankfully the kids are allowed to take water bottles to school to drink in the classroom.

8. Peak pollen production typically occurs in the morning - plan outside activities accordingly. 

9. Be sure to have Children's Claritin - the #1 pediatrician-recommended non-drowsy allergy brand - on hand! 

And there you have it...some tips to get you through the fall allergy season and beyond. Here's hoping there's a frost on the way soon to rid the air of the pollen so we can keep the sneezing and wheezing to a minimum.

Happy fall!

Disclaimer: As a member of the Children's Claritin Mom Crew, I receive product samples and promotional items to share and use as I see fit. No monetary compensation has taken place and any opinions expressed by me are honest and reflect my actual experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment