9.03.2006

Don't smoke near my food!

Here's the thing -- I hate it when people are allowed to smoke in restaurants. It annoys me and it's just plain gross.

Here in T-town most restaurants are fully non-smoking, but some still have a smoking section that is completely (or mostly) closed off from the rest of the facility. We have some sort of half-assed no-smoking ordinance. Not sure why it's not a full-blown "don't even think about smoking here" ordinance, other than that some smoking residents of T-town seem to think it's their Constitutional right to blow second-hand smoke in my face.

Anyway, I digress.

Kevin, Olivia and I went to Findlay, Ohio yesterday. We ate at this cute little burger joint called Wilson's. Rumor is it's where Dave Thomas got his idea for Wendy's. Wilson's has a "smoking" section and "no smoking" section. The n/s section should be called the second hand smoke section since it's THISCLOSE to the smokers.

As I'm enjoying my double cheeseburger and Frosty-like chocolate malt (hey, I'm pregnant...I need to eat!), I was being engulfed from all sides by smoke. Peering through the gray cloud hanging over the smoker's section I see two tables of people, with a burger in one hand a cigarette in the other.

I mean, c'mon. Can't you put down the cancer stick long enough to eat?

It's just gross when you have to smell cigarette smoke when you're trying to eat. Smokers want to claim they have a constiutional right to smoke, well guess what...I'm claiming that I have a constitutional right to not inhale your second-hand smoke and put myself and my unborn baby in danger.

Being pregnant and hormonal, I tend to just let loose verbally when things piss me off. And I did just that as we walked out of Wilson's when we were done eating. I was venting loudly about how I should be able to eat without inhaling someone's nasty second hand smoke. Needless to say the cheeseburger-eating smokers glared at me. Whatever.

I'm a firm believer that smoking should be banned from all restaurants, bars, etc. NYC did it. The entire state of California did it too. Ohio needs to be next.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. Smoking should be banned from all eating establishments. We were <---> this close to accomplishing that goal.** Sigh**

    (I love it that you spoke about your second-hand smoke frustration in front of the offenders. Awesome.)

    ReplyDelete