9.22.2009

My first PTA meeting

Last night was the first PTA meeting of the school year. As a 'new member' I figured it was a good idea to attend.

All in all...it was rather, um, lame.

Nothing really happened. Nothing that important was discussed.

For the most part, the only people talking were the members of the PTA board. And the principal. Oh, and "that" mom - you know, the one who just HAS to say something about every little thing?

Yeah, she was there too. [And no, it wasn't me]. This mom volunteered for the first committee mentioned, she complained about papers sent home from school and how her kids just shove them into their bags (yeah, not sure how that is a PTA issue, but whatever), and she threw out little comments every time someone said something.

So basically we're building a new gym, having a fundraiser on Friday, collecting box tops and soup labels and well, that's about it.

5 comments:

  1. Good luck! I think it is great to get involved. I don't think I could ever do the PTA thing, I would just want to yell or hit people who were annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sadly, i don't think this mom even knew that she was a bit annoying. but you could see the other people thinking "what the heck is she talking about?!?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't be surprised if you have a group of cliquey women that run everything! that's the theme @ our elem. school...our PTO is the same way- a lot of boring crap with not a whole lot of direction. but, at least you'll be on the "inside" track to knowing the ins & outs and getting the low-down on the other kids and moms....trust me, they ALL will talk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ lisa: oh yes...very cliquey. it was unreal. and those who were "in the loop" were very impressed with themselves. ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Co-sign with what Lisa said. I tried for the last 3 years to get involved and do my "duty". But I am OVER that crap. I have contacts and can get amazing deals on promotional products and such thru my work--but they just keep saying--oh, we've ALWAYS used so and so--and then they bitch over the price.

    I really hoped that there was a chance for "new blood" to matter, but it's not working out that way. I live in a SMALL village and I guess they only want to help raise others in THEIR way only.

    ReplyDelete