3.11.2010

Itchy and scratchy

I am miserable.

There you go.
I put it out there just so you know what is coming in this post.

Oh, the bronchitis is gone..so I am no longer coughing and wheezing like a two-pack-a-day smoker.

But I am still miserable.

It's called dry skin.

I am used to dry skin in the winter - it is part of living in the north and dealing with constant freezing temps and dry air and well, it sucks. But this year...it's been different.

I actually had to go to the doctor's today because I'm THAT miserable thanks to itchy, dry skin.

(Sorry if this is TMI...but you can stop reading...).

I have tried everything - I have a smorgasbord of lotions in my bathroom right now (seriously, I've bought FIVE different brands in the past three weeks) and NOTHING has worked. I have been taking over the counter allergy medicine, slathering lotion on my arms like 10 times a day and I am still miserable.

Of course, being the cynic that I am, I have spent that past few days searching WebMD for causes of 'rash on arms' and 'skin conditions' - I figured it was going to be something terrible.

I mean, why else would I be waking up in the middle of the night to SCRATCH MY ARMS????

But no.
I did it to myself.
I caused my own misery.

My skin was SO DRY and I scratched my arms SO MUCH (because, you know, I am 5 years old and don't know any better), that I am now on STEROIDS. And had to buy a $40 bottle of lotion that is supposed to make me better.

Yes, you did read that right.
$40 for a bottle of lotion.
Are you freaking kidding me?
Is it made with the horn of a unicorn?
It damn well better work, that's all I'm saying.

So, I will probably be cranky and irritable thanks to the steroids, but if they work and if the lotion works and if I feel better in a week, I guess it will be worth it.

*Update: 3/12/10 - So far I have taken 7 steroid pills (don't ask...I had to take SIX yesterday) and have used the 'infused with unicorn horn and 24K gold'** lotion once and oh my gosh, I might be less scratchy. Already. I actually felt rested when I woke up this morning. Hmmmm.


**Of course, I'm kidding. No unicorns were harmed in the making of the lotion.

8 comments:

  1. You poor thing! I'm so sorry you are going through that! :( I hope the $40 lotion works! It better, or else!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it works too! :)

    thanks, sweetie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Lol. "Horn of a unicorn." I hope you feel better VERY soon.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the first time I've EVER been dry like this. I cover myself in skin so soft OIL right out of the shower and it makes me feel fairly normal.

    Blech. I hope your 'roids work :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you drinking enough water? Your body might need to be more hydrated, especially if you've been sick, you probably lost a bunch of fluids.

    I remember when I had mono my skin got so dry that I would wake up crying because my skin itched so bad and no lotions would work, I just needed more fluids in my body to hydrate from within.

    Not saying this will cure you but it might help you be more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @MickeyD: I have been drinking more water..not sure if it helped. But I've been trying. :) The doctor said part of the 'cause' was the fact that I went to Florida, came home, went to Florida and came home - all in the course of 4 weeks. The whole warm-cold-warm-cold thing. I don't know....

    @Nadja - I know what you mean. I have never been this dry! Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no, feel Better!! Dry skin has been very bad this year for me.

    ReplyDelete