9.04.2011

Random thoughts on a Sunday afternoon

I often check out who has been visiting The Fishbowl, where they are located and how they found little ol' me.

The other day I discovered that someone from Germany found my blog by searching "fishbowl crap?" on Bing. That made me laugh out loud. Their search took them to this post from Disney Social Media Moms ("Facebook, following your passion and C.R.A.P).

I'm guessing it wasn't exactly what they were looking for.
(And really, why are you Binging "fishbowl crap?" in the first place???)

And then I saw that someone found my post by Googling "keith olbermann quotes starbucks" - and they found this post.

I wrote that post in 2008 after reading the following quote on my Starbucks cup:

"The world bursts at the seams with people ready to tell you you're not good enough. On occasion, some may be correct. But do not do their work for them. Seek any job; ask anyone out; pursue any goal. Don't take it personally when they say "no" - they may not be smart enough to say "yes." - Keith Olberman, broadcast journalist and host of MSNBC's "Countdown with Keith Olberman"*

At the time, I thought it was a great quote.
Now, while it is still a great quote, I can also totally relate to it.

First, I managed to "escape" the organization that was so quick to tell me nearly every day that I wasn't good enough. The last seven weeks have been a time of healing and renewal for me. I feel stronger as a writer. I feel better as a human being. I feel like the "old me" - the me that existed before I became a victim of workplace bullying.

Second, I am in the midst of a job search. I'm looking...but I don't know what I'm looking for. I want to write and would love something with social media. However, I don't want to deal with interoffice drama/politics. I also refuse to work for Satan's minions again. I did that already and it pretty much sucked.

I had an interview a few weeks ago and haven't heard anything. However, rather than taking it personally and thinking "Oh my gawd, why don't they want ME?"...I'm thinking "oh well, their loss."

I also received a rejection letter this week that was based solely on the "potential" employer seeing my resume. According to the letter they are "going in a different direction with the job" ... which means they either (1) filled the position internally, (2) aren't filling the position or (3) decided I was too talented for the job.

I'm going with #3.
(And yes, I am joking. Sort of.)

Whatever the reason for the rejection letter, I'm not taking it personally.

I laughed at the letter and then promptly threw it in the garbage.

And damn, did that feel good.


*Obviously this was before he was fired from MSNBC.

No comments:

Post a Comment