1.08.2012

Sundays, help wanted, and the dream job

I have a routine on Sunday mornings - wake up, check my email, check Facebook and Twitter, head to the kitchen and greet the family (who has been awake since about 6:30 a.m. - even on the weekend), and then I grab my coffee and read the Sunday paper.

Since my husband usually only "skims" the paper, I know he'll have split it into two piles - "the news" and "the ads." It's a system we have. It seems to work. It should be noted that our hometown paper isn't anything too impressive, but I like to take about 45-60 minutes to read it, always stopping at the Business Section to check out the jobs.

Sure, I spend time every day on Monster.com, OhioMeansJobs.com, and various other job search websites - it's like a part time job sometimes. But I still read the ads every Sunday morning. Just in case there is something new. Yes, placing a "help wanted" ad in the newspaper is OLD SCHOOL, but some companies still do it.

Today there was nothing. But I did find some good prospects online in the past few days and my resume has been sent. Again. And then my mind starts to wander. I spend a lot of time thinking about what any of these jobs might be like. Maybe it's just me, but I find it "fun" (for lack of a better word) to imagine what my professional career might be like when the day comes that I finally get "The Call."

I think it's because my last job was so horrific and I never want to experience that again. I like to think that the next place I work will have a professional atmosphere where people are treated with respect and no one is bullied by their boss. You know, a place where grown ups work..rather than the Sixth Circle of Hell.

But at the end of the day I keep coming back to the thought that perhaps I just need to be my own boss and start my own consulting firm and do what I love. After all, it's really difficult to bully yourself.

What about you? Do you ever imagine what your next job (or dream job) will be like? What is your dream job?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for an concept, you sparked at thought from a angle I hadn't given thoguht to yet. Now lets see if I can do one thing with it.

    ReplyDelete