1.03.2012

Three words for Day Three

I received an email last week from Chris Brogan where he challenged me (and everyone else who received the email) to come up with three words (just three!) to sum up what I want to focus on in 2012. Now, being a rather wordy word person, coming up with only three words is somewhat of a challenge. I kid you not, I had a list of at least 15 words after I started thinking about it.

Clearly 15 is more than 3. Even someone who sucks at math (as I do) know this. And so, I must edit my list down to THREE WORDS that I'm going to use to define me and my life and what I want to accomplish in the next 363 days. (There are 363 days left this year right? Leap Year = 366, today is January 3...so 366-3 = 363. Yep. Math.)

OK.
Enough math for one year.
Back to words.
My three words to be specific.

In no particular order, my three words for 2012 are:
- Passion
- Move
- Write

Passion.
Do what you love.
Follow your PASSION.

I've been hearing this over and over and over again for the past year. It was one of the main things I took away from Disney's Social Media Moms Celebration last March. I've blogged about doing this a lot since walking out of my job last July. In fact, one could say that making that decision to quit my job was the first step in FOLLOWING MY PASSION. Because friends, there was NO passion to be had in that job. None at all.

Rene Syler said it best last March: Follow your passion because you'll never go wrong.

And so, 2012 is my year to follow my passion. I'm not sure where it will lead me, but I'm going to follow it. My passion is writing (with some social media thrown in for extra flavor) and this year, it's my very own yellow brick road. Follow, follow, follow.

Move.
Now, as I sit here on Day 3 of 2012, I'm not saying "move" as in "Oh by the way we're picking up stakes and moving to Florida." Although, believe me...I have seriously considered it many MANY times in the last eight months. Right now, it's not happening. But never say never.

In 2012, I do want to MOVE.

I want to move myself more...whether through walking or running or whatever means necessary. My kids gave me a pedometer for Christmas and while it's still sitting in the box, I do intend to use it. Soon.

And in 51 days I will be MOVING through Epcot as I participate in my very first 5K race. At this point it looks like I will be walking ... but walking IS moving. And that's a start.

I would like to say that I'm going to MOVE myself enough that I can participate in a 10 mile race in September at Walt Disney World. Yes, that says TEN MILES. It's less than a 1/2 marathon...but it's still 10 miles. And that is going to take some serious MOVING on my part.

Write. 
This one goes hand-in-hand with passion if we're being totally honest.

I write. I love to write. I've been a "writer" for many, many year. It used to be a journal. Then I wrote for newspapers. Then I wrote for work. Then I started a blog. And now here we are. I'm still writing. It's what I do. It's what I'm good at. It's what makes me happy. It's how I express myself.

And this year, I think it's where I am going to find my happy place and figure out what I want to be when I grow up. This is one of the many reasons why I am challenging myself to write a blog post EVERY SINGLE DAY this month.

I am a writer.
I just need to remember that.

And so, as we creep into 2012....what are YOUR three words?
Share them with me in the comments.
What do you want from 2012?

4 comments:

  1. Good for you! I am glad to hear about your positive outlook for 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm trying to remain positive, despite the post i wrote today LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great outlook! Good luck to you in reaching your goals. Thanks for the "thought" about 2012. Going to think about my own direction for the year....

    Ps....sorry about the "mean girls" scouts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marge - thank you so much for reading! :)

    ReplyDelete