1.15.2012

What I'm watching...on Sundays

Sunday night used to be a night of boring television ... a night reserved for some serious channel surfing. But lately, it's become my favorite night of TV.

First and foremost, there is "Once Upon a Time" - I love this show (of course, right?). It's all my favorite fairy tales spun with a dash of "LOST" (OK, a big huge helping of LOST) mixed with good dialogue and a great story line. The premise of the story: Fairy tale characters cursed by the Evil Queen and sent to live in Maine but they have no idea who they really are. Except of course for the Queen and Rumpelstiltskin. They know. And one of them is doing everything in her power to keep it that way. Oh and the flashbacks! So "LOST"-like!

And ah, the Evil Queen. I have to say, she's one mean witch. She's only looking out for herself. She lies to get what she wants. She stabs people in the back. She feeds them poison apples. She crushes their hearts with her bare hands. (I think perhaps she could get a job where I used to work. HA!). So, of course, I root for everyone who is against the Queen (Regina is her "non fairy tale" name).

What's not to love? (Spoiler alert! I mean, aside from killing The Sheriff!!! That was not to be loved). Snow White, Prince "Charming" (not his real name!), Cinderella, Rumpelstiltskin (who I actually like just a little bit after last week's show), and of course the Evil Queen are just a few of the 'fairy tale' characters. Toss in a few 'real' people who are trying to break the curse and it's our family's new favorite show. The girls LOVE it.

Last week, after "Once," I was searching for something to watch at 9 p.m. and just happened to surf to PBS. Yes, I did say PBS. And, I got sucked into "Downton Abbey." Set during World War I in England - it's a historical family drama and soap opera all rolled into one. There's love. And intrigue. And rumors and gossip. And great clothes and jewelry. It's like "Keeping Up with the Kardashians"...except the residents of "Downton" have impeccable manners. And they keep their clothes ON. And they actually have CLASS. So yeah, never mind. It's nothing like the Kardashians.

Downton Abbey is the show you MUST watch. The second season just started last weekend - and trust me, you will love it ... once you figure out who's who and why they're doing what they're doing.

Tonight however, I will have to rely on TiVo for "Once Upon a Time" and "Downton Abbey" ... because tonight, it's all about the red carpet. And the Golden Globes. And cringing every time Ricky Gervais opens his mouth.

1 comment:

  1. My daughter got me watching One Upon a Time during a marathon on New Year's Day. I'm trying to resist the urge to watch because I have so many other things going on. But it is really hard not too. The Evil Queen is just so fun to watch. And those outfits...WOW!

    ReplyDelete