8.12.2013

School Supply Shopping Madness

Today was "school supply shopping day"...and so I headed to the store, armed with the supply lists for first grade and fourth grade.

I should have also brought my patience.
I dread school supply shopping.

When I was a kid it seemed like we just had to get a box of crayons, some pencils, an eraser, a pair of scissors, and a plastic pencil box. Oh, and a Trapper Keeper. And then we were done and off to school we went.

Today's kids get a VERY detailed list. And you must follow that list. Or else. (I'd also like to add that we were given the "back to school supply list" on the last day of school in June. Because you know all we wanted to do in JUNE was think about school supplies. For August.)

Anyway.
Back to the lists.

For first grade we need 2 boxes of 24 Crayola crayons. I didn't underline that for effect, it was actually underlined on the supply list. Because apparently all other crayons are inferior. I'm really curious what would happen if a child brought in a brand other than Crayola. I should try that one year. Just because I'm a rebel like that.

The first grader also needed one pair of scissors, two boxes of 8 Crayola crayons, 2 dozen #2 pencils sharpened (again, their underline NOT mine), 2 pink chunk erasers, 4 large (1.41 oz) glue sticks - which I might add DO NOT EXIST IN THAT WEIGHT. I looked. So my kid is taking SIX semi-large (.77 oz) glue sticks. Deal with it.

Additionally the first grader also need 1 large box of tissues, 2 solid color plastic folders for school (um, what else would she need them for??), 1 spiral notebook (approx. 70 pages, wide ruled), 1 earphone set in Ziploc bag with name, 1 plastic shoebox (no lid) no taller than 4 inches (seriously?), 1 book bag to carry papers, two yellow highlighters.

And my personal favorite: 1 Mead black & white Primary Journal K-2nd grade 100 sheets. THIS item? Yeah I had to Google it tonight. I found it, shockingly. Now I just have to hope that Target really does have it in stock.

Oh, and we also need 1 set of Crayola markers (normal size) for art class.

Fourth grade wasn't much better.

For the fourth grade we needed: 1 box of 24 Crayola crayons, 1 pair of scissors, 1 package of #2 sharpened pencils (no names), 1 set felt tip markers, fine point, 2 erasers (plain pink), 2 Elmer's glue stick large .77 oz, 3 ball point red pens, 2 black ball point pens, 1 clear plastic ruler (metric/English), 1 pkg wide ruled notebook paper, 1 sturdy folder for report project, 1 set colored pencils, sharpened, 1 composition notebook, 2 large boxes of tissues, 1 soft sided bag with 3 sided zipper to hold supplies (sold at school), 1 roll scotch tape, 1 1 1/2 binder 3 ring (no trappers), 4 book covers (non-adhesive, cloth preferred, extra large), 2 highlighters.

And a partridge in a pear tree.

Honestly. Oh and for art class for the 4th grade? Just Clorox "bleach free" wipes.

What. The. Hell.

After wandering up and down the school supply aisles I was seriously sweating and anxious. And swearing. And I wasn't alone. The look of sheer panic in the eyes of the parents in those aisles was somewhat funny and a little bit sad. How can we be so frustrated this early on in the school year? When did it all become so complicated to send your kid back to school? Crayola this. Elmer's that.

There's this fear of failure when it comes to school supplies - like, did I buy the "right" crayons or is that folder going to be OK or will I get a note sent home telling me that the glue sticks aren't the right weight?

My Facebook status today was "Back-to-school supply shopping is enough to make a person insane." And it's true.

Now I have to put their names on just about every single supply. Except the 12 #2 sharpened pencils that are headed to fourth grade.

Wishing you all happy back-to-school shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment