11.11.2014

One More Thing Wrong with Common Core

I'm going to make this very simple - I am not, nor will I ever be, a fan of Common Core.

For those of you who don't know what Common Core is, it is the new way to teach our kids.

According to the "official" website for CC: The Common Core is a set of high-quality academic standards in mathematics and English language arts/literacy (ELA). 

Also, it sucks.
A lot.

Common Core is horrible. The math is ridiculous. I have two college degrees and normally I can't figure out how to do basic math problems my kids bring home. Thankfully my fifth grader is a math whiz and doesn't need my help.

This year both of my kids are using the 'Journeys' reading book from the Common Core curriculum. To say that the book is horrible would be an understatement.

This is what my SECOND GRADER was reading today:


Note what it says: "Bear is STUPID..."

Bear. Is. Stupid.

Will someone please explain to me in what universe should we be teaching our kids to use the word STUPID?

Bear. Is. Stupid.

When Emma reached that line of the story she said, "Mommy I'm not going to read that line. It's not a nice word."

Where is the educational value in the word "stupid"? Is this part of the "high quality academics" that Common Core is trying to teach our kids?

I can't be the only one who thinks using the word "stupid" in a story for school is wrong.
Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment