7.23.2006

And the magic number is....

Six. Yep, that's the magic number.

Six students = I get to teach for yet another semester. And I currently have six students signed up for Journalism I.

See, the community college where I teach journalism requires that at least six students sign up for your class or the class does not run. Not sure why they need six students. What's wrong with five?

Hell, most of the time I end up with less than six by the end of the semester anyway. (And no, that's not a reflection on my teaching skills thank you very much). Kids drop classes for better reasons than not liking me - no financial aid, too much work in other classes, too much work out of school. I even had a kid last semester attend for one day and then drop....he only wanted the financial aid. (Hmmmm..wonder if anyone has told him that he has to pay his loans back someday?)

Of course, it would be even better if I had a few more students sign up (eight or nine kids total is good). It's a nice little buffer zone, my insurance of sorts, to ensure that I will get to teach. But beggars can't be choosers, so right now I'm happy with six.

No comments:

Post a Comment