7.31.2006

The joy of teaching

For those of you who don't know, I teach journalism at a local community college here in Toledo. I fell into the job quite by accident two years ago and quite frankly, it's the best damn job I've ever had. I had never taught before (unless you count the figure skating classes I taught in college), so the first few weeks of my first semester were admittedly a bit rocky. But I persevered and am now getting ready for my 2nd full year as a part-time college instructor.

There aren't too many perks to being a part-time instructor - we don't get benefits, we're basically expendable, the pay is not great at all, but damn it's fun work. I think the best part about teaching is the end result.

Every semester I get a small group of people who want to be writers, but are essentially at a loss about the basic concepts of journalism. They come into my class knowing only what they learned in English Comp (so not useful for my class) and are, I think, at times terrified of journalism. "What's a lead?" "Why does it have to be 35 words or less?" "You mean I can't put my opinion into the news story?"

We spend the semester learning about inverted pyramids, leads, nut graphs, proper grammar, proper attribution, hard news v. soft news, etc.; and by the end of the 16 weeks, the students who walked in without a clue, walk out knowing how to write a good news story. I've seen some amazing natural talent over the past two years...and am hoping to see more this semester.

So now, I can finally put the bar exam nightmare behind me and start preparing for the fall semester. My textbook has been updated and going through it today, planning out my lessons, I felt a great sense of excitement - I cannot wait until classes start again.

2 comments:

  1. I'm smiling. Best of luck to you as you embark on the new year.

    You rock, Traci. Really, you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kylee!!! I am going to miss working with you....but am also so happy for you and your new gig. I'm sure I'll have more "stories from the trenches" of teaching as the semester gets going. :)

    ReplyDelete