8.23.2006

Daisy Maisy


This is Daisy and Gatsby....they are my kitty babies. Daisy is the black & white cat. She was my first "baby."

Daisy is currently at the vet being evaluated. She was limping around the house today, acting very lethargic. She's always a bit stand-offish (except to me), but today she was unusually grumpy and she was actually looking at my whimpering.

I'm very worried about her. I will post more when the vet calls me.

UPDATE: 4:30 p.m. - The vet just called. I am a bad kitty mommy, apparently. Daisy has advanced periodontal disease (basically some of her teeth are rotting out). I had no idea that was even possible. Guess I should have been better informed. As I said, bad mommy.

Anyway, they are pulling at least 2 of her teeth (her adorable fang teeth....very sad). Doc says its a bad infection. I just hope it hasn't spread to her bloodstream. They still don't know why she's limping....I think she hurt herself jumping off the washing machine yesterday. They were going to do an x-ray before her surgery.

She won't be staying overnight because, as the vet put it, "this cat won't do well at the hospital." Translation - my little Daisy is a very unhappy kitty and will probably kill the vet if she stays overnight. Think Cujo on a feline level. That's Daisy when she's irritated. And I'm sure she's very, very irritated right now. So, I will be nursing Daisy back to health.

Oh yeah, price tag for having cat teeth pulled (along w/ all other diagnostic stuff): $400. I need pet health insurance.

UPDATE - 6:30 p.m. - Talked to the vet at 6:30. He had just finished working on Daisy. Apparently he took photos of her rotted teeth to show me (presumably to show me what a bad cat owner I really am). He said he had to pull many of her top teeth, including her oh-so-adorable "vampire" fangs (the canines). I loved those fangs. They were so "Daisy." But if it was going to ease her pain, then it's worth it. Now she'll just have to gum her food, I guess.

He said the rest of her bloodwork was good -- the infection from her mouth hadn't spread. This is a good thing. I was afraid that it might have gone to her bloodstream. That would have been BAD. However, he was still unable to examine her hindquarters -- or determine the reason for her limping today. He hopes to do that tomorrow morning.

And so, he is keeping her overnight. So, my baby kitty is (hopefully) resting somewhat comfortably at the vet's tonight. She was on some sort of morphine-type drip for the pain. I am going to have to nurse her back to health over the next few days. I'm just hoping that she comes out of it OK and is back to her Daisy ways very soon. I miss my kitty.

Oh yeah. Final price tag: $540. Ouch.

No comments:

Post a Comment