11.14.2009

A few weekend observations

Here they are:

1. I am too old for the 'bar scene'. A group of us went to dinner last night at Sakura (oh my goodness....such good food) and then one member of our group thought it would be a good idea to check out a new sports bar in town (because they knew the guy who owned it). Let me be very clear - I have nothing against sports bars or bars in general or people who enjoy going to the bar.

However, I am too old, too married and too much of a mom to EVER feel the need/desire to go to a bar on a Friday night. I swear to goodness I was surrounded by (a) extras from The Hills and (b) too many Jon Gosselin clones in Ed Hardy shirts, big chunky cross necklaces and diamond stud earrings. It was very uncomfortable. Our entire group decided that we would much rather spend our evenings at home, curled up on the couch with (or without) our husbands, watching TV or surfing the 'net. No more opening night at the bar for me.

2. I am also too old to be asked for ID when buying beer. At the grocery store. Seriously. I've blogged about this before. I have gray hair, crows feet, stretch marks, a 'yes, I've had a baby' pouch, and am going to be 37 years old in a few months. Please, please, please stop asking for my ID. I don't look 20. I don't look 21. Hell, I don't even look 30. I look like a 36-year-old mother of two who just wants to buy a 12-pack of beer for her husband.

3. I don't really enjoy Christmas shopping. I dislike the crowds. And .... well, that's really it. I don't like going to the mall or Old Navy or Target or well, anywhere during the weeks between Halloween and Christmas Eve. There is nothing fun about shopping during the holidays.

4. Not that this is any major news flash, but Jon Gosselin is a complete and total moron. I just read this story about how he is suing TLC (the channel, not me!) for $5 million because he claims they ruined his reputation with other media outlets and therefore damaged his career. Uh Jon, I hate to break it to you, but I'm pretty sure that it was your own behavior, attitude and those STUPID diamond earrings that ruined your, um, "career". You're the one who banned the cameras from your house, thereby breaching your contract. It's not TLC's fault that you are a complete and total moron who lacks class and, well, intelligence. Whatever. I am so sick and tired of hearing about this family ... and I try to NOT blog about them, but sometimes I just have to rant a little bit.

I'm sure there are a few other things I needed to blog about...but I've been on the go since yesterday afternoon and I am now going to sit on my couch, catch up on Tivo'd shows and read my new issues of Entertainment Weekly (New Moon on the cover!!) and InStyle.

4 comments:

  1. I think of you every time I see a New Moon preview, etc. Yay!!

    Total agreement on all points presented. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved #1! While I enjoy going to the bar and find myself there every weekend, I am not choosy about WHICH bar we frequent.

    We hit BIGZ last night (the old playmakers) and it was just as you described. I was driving and was terribly annoyed by all the drunk ass people, ed hardy shirts, dumb ass skinny girls, and the close talker bad breath people.

    I do love going to wine tastings, fusion in cricket west and other bars.

    Let me also not be a hypocrite, I really enjoy getting drunk, but when I am not getting drunk, I don't really enjoy being around really drunk people until 4 in the morning. Especially not a gangster bars or dance clubs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me correct my first sentence, I AM choosy about the bars we frequent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness Iris...I was at Bigz...that was the bar I was describing! I swear we were sitting right behind a table full of strippers and their bouncers. It was so bad.

    ReplyDelete