11.25.2012

Adventures with Scooby - Day 5 & 6

Today is the last day Scooby the guinea pig will be a guest at our house. I have to take the little furry rodent back to Emma's classroom tomorrow morning. (That should prove to be an adventure).

All in all, this little "test visit" was successful. Guinea pigs don't do much other than eat and sleep. And poop, as was apparent from the required cage cleaning this morning. And here I thought cat litter boxes were gross.

Oh, and the sneezing and wheezing from me? Yep. Still happening. As I sit here typing I'm wheezing like a two-pack-a-day smoker ... thanks to the dust that attacked me while Kevin and I cleaned the cage. I think it's still from the alfalfa hay and not the bedding. But I'm going to have to do some more research.

Taking care of Scooby was much easier than anticipated. And Emma had a blast. I'm really proud of her "saving skills" - not many kindergartners could save their reward tickets for 50 days just to get the privilege of taking home a guinea pig. So far, Emma is the only kid in her class to do so.

And so, the furry little pig goes "home" tomorrow and I have a little more than two months to prepare myself for the guinea pig we'll be buying Emma for her birthday.

The things we do for our kids.

10 p.m. and an update: Emma is incredibly sad about Scooby going "home" tomorrow morning. She cried for a good 30 minutes tonight. So, I let her sit in bed and hold the little furball for a while. And I tried to explain that she's not really telling Scooby "goodbye" since she'll get to see her everyday at school. To which she replied "but not on weekends and not at night."

Yeah. I can't rationalize that one. She's right. I suppose it's a good thing that pretty soon she'll have her very own guinea pig. And she's decided on names: "Minnie" if it's a girl, and "Mickey" if it's a boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment