7.18.2016

Do What You Love. And Love What You Do.

It's been FIVE YEARS since I walked out of my office at the after dealing with horrible bullying for six months (out of the 12 months that I was in that job). You can read all about my experiences here, here, and in this post where I post my "eff you" resignation letter.

The day I quit my job five year ago my Facebook status was: 'FREEDOM!!!'

To say that my time spent in that office was a nightmare would be an understatement. What happened to me should never happen to anyone in the workplace (or in school or well, ANYWHERE). The bullying nearly broke me and made me question everything about my professional life and friendships.

It took me more than a year to recover from the bullying (even though you never really "recover" from it but you are able to eventually put in in your past). For a long time I questioned my ability to find a job, my abilities as a writer, and what I really wanted to do with my professional life.

And then, 3 1/2 years ago I started this job that I love. By the end of this year I'll have worked at this job longer than I've worked at any other job. EVER.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

People often say "do what you love and love what you do" and let me tell ya something - they're right.

I am doing what I love and loving what I do.
And I work with the most amazing, talented, incredible, kick-ass, and supportive group of women.

But you know what else?

I still stop and question my abilities from time to time. I find myself thinking "You can't do that."... or "That's a dumb idea." ... and then I remember that the voice telling me that is the one that took up residence in my brain when I worked for the Girl Scouts and even though she's quiet most of the time, she's still hanging out and being a real bitch every now and then.

But now, five years later, I know that voice is wrong. Very wrong. I am good at what I do (honesty, not arrogance, people). And I can do anything I put my mind to.

As much as those bullies tried to break me five years ago, they failed. And they failed in spectacular fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment